Friday, February 15, 2008

I digg how you twitter on my space...

Until recently I didn’t bother with the “blogosphere,” wonder about wikis or give a darn how to digg. Needless to say, every time I open my laptop and start researching for my next post, hours seem to pass as I dive deeper and deeper into the virtual world. It’s no secret that as technology evolves, societal norms change. My grandparents wouldn’t dream of answering the phone at dinner and heaven help you if your cell goes off at their dinner table. My grandparents have no idea what Google is.


Times have changed.

Just the other day, I was sitting eating lunch and catching up with an old friend. I glanced over to the next table and saw two girls sitting there tinkering on their iPhones. I thought to myself, how odd they can't just enjoy each others company. The mobility of communication combined with tech savvy has changed the method of interaction among friends and family. The mode of communications has been altered enormously for new millinium employees climbing the corporate latter. Work can be done on the rode, on the fly, or on the beach the Brooks Brothers suite mentality is being placed in the far depths of closets rather than being worn creating a larger generation gap. Blogging rocks employeers who find comfort in tradition an stability proving that work is no longer 9-5. PR is no longer solely dependent on press releases, creating spin and wowing networked media. The internet has developed in ways even Al Gore could not have predicted. Within the .com world there are subcultures that have coincidently created impromptu “target markets.” My theory... The internet should be a public relations professional’s laboratory and I'm not alone.

Hope for success…brace for failure.


Social Media Releases or SMRs are steadily gaining in use and popularity thanks from a call to order from Tom Foremski and implementation by Todd Defren and his SHIFT Communications crew. The effectiveness of SMR is not just based off of its instantaneous impact but its “loggable impact.” I now have the capabilities to save the information from the SMR until I’m ready or able to use it. It makes life easy, everything you’d need is a click away. Blogging is the new communication platform and the SMR program caters to the multimedia needs and demands of current communicators. The following video was produced by WEBIT PR and expands apon the importance of online communications and how the SMR program positivily impacts the PR world.






Blogging and social media go against the traditional grain of PR. In this day and age, communication is about fluidity and transparency, two adjectives rarely aligned with the public relations field. However, these 6 perspectives changed my perspective on the question, "why blog?" I think blogging has created an unbelievably unique opportunity for PR professionals in the fact that they can receive feedback through comments almost instantaniously. Regardless of whether or not blogging will leave a lasting impact in PR blogging is is here, blogging is now and blogging's got staying power.

No comments: